[TowerTalk] Climbing alone ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing alone ?
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 12:48:38 -0500 (EST)
> Bill:
>
> I've always been curious, how does one put a tower up by themselves. I'm
> genuily curiouse as its difficult to get help with my projects.

1.  You get in very good shape.
2.  You go up and down the tower A LOT.
3.  You think everything through in your mind before doing anything.  You
dont want to forget something on the ground after climbing to the top of
a 115' tower.

I pull the tower section up to about where I figure I can lift it on to
the section alreay in place.  Above 70' eye'ing this position is difficult.
This is when #1 comes in handy.  You either lift it more than you should
have had to or you climb back down and lift it up some more.

After the section is in place, I climb back down and untie the rope.
Then climb back up and move the gin pole on to the new section.  The
climb back down and do the routine all over again.

I have done 175' of Rohn 45 and 105' of Rohn 25 this way to date.  Not
counting the 4-square on 80M.

73

Bill, W4AN

PS:   I just got back from 3 mile run over lunch.  New tower should be
going up in 3 weeks.  Gotta get ready.  :)