[TowerTalk] Stranded vs solid wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stranded vs solid wire
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:59:35 -0500
OK, now I'm really confused....  according to a recent e-mail, there has
been a big discussion on the rec.radio.amateur.antennas newsgroup that
reached an "overwhelming" consensus that there are significant benefits to
be gained from using solid rather than stranded wire in antennas.

I don't have newsgroup access here, so I can't verify this, but I confess
I'm dubious.  Except for a #12 copperweld dipole when I was a kid, I have
always used stranded.  I can find no discussion of the relative merits of
solid versus stranded wire in the Antenna Book, or in ON4UN's Low-Band
DXing.  Modeling programs I have used make no distinction between stranded
and solid conductors, though they make a very meaningful distinction, as LB
has recently pointed out, between different metals in the modeled conductors.

So, smart antenna people, what's the story?

73,

Pete N4ZR

In Wild Wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia