[TowerTalk] Tower Approved, Ordinance Changed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Approved, Ordinance Changed
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 14:12:58 -0500
Hi Bruce,

Congratulations!  You did it all correctly and you did your homework.
Nice to hear of the very positive outcome.  Enjoy the DX.

The ham community needs to hear stories as positive as yours to balance
out some of the negative stuff the floats around occasionally.
Again... a most hearty CONGRATULATIONS!

All the best wishes for the New Year.

73,

Roger, K2JAS
Morganville, NJ
about 30-mi SW of NYC

At 04:58 PM 12/26/97 +0000, you wrote:
>As a follow up regarding my petition for a 90 ft tower/antenna, I am
pleased
>to report that on Dec 18th, at the town public hearing, the Planning and
>Appeals Commission voted 9 yes and 0 no's in favor of my petition to
erect the
>90 ft tower/antenna. Then on Dec 22, the Town Council heard my
petition and
>voted 7 yes and 0 no's for approval. Also, during the 2 month period
that my
>petition was being processed, the town ordinance was revised from a
limit of
>35 ft to a limit of 60 ft and the Residential Setback of 1:1 was
deleated.
>So, all the effort was worth it.
>
>In my opinion, the most important effort, in order of priority, was the
>following:
>
>1) I established a strong working relationship with the Zoning and
Building
>Inspector.
>
>2) My XYL and I met with all neighbors to explain exactly what we were
going
>to do. Note that my petition was advertized for 15 days in the local
paper and
>a 3x3 ft notice of the public hearing was posted on the properity. As
a result
>of meeting with the neighbors, no one came to the public hearing and 2
called
>the Zoning Inspector to say they had no concerns.
>
>3) I provided a 5 page proposal with the petition including a site
plan and
>photo showing natural screening of trees on the properity, and
an"Executive
>Summary" addressing possible concerns, a summary of benefits to the
community,
>the need for an elevated antenna, and a brief summary of  Public Law
103-408,
>Part 97.15e, and PRB-1 "provided only to illustrate Federal support of
amateur
>radio".
>
>4) Complete copies of the referenced documents were also provided in a
>separate package of "Attachments" along with 3 favorable letters from
current
>neighbors in Atlanta,  articles showing amateur radio operators
participation
>during emergencies, ARES origanization, Skywarn information, a report
on the
>study of tower collapse, and K1TD's artical "Antenna Height and
Communications