[TowerTalk] Tower Site Hunting Near Cleveland

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Site Hunting Near Cleveland
From: sandelkw@alaska.net (Kyle Sandel)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:23:06 -0800
Thanks for reading this...

I'll be moving to the Cleveland OH area in a few months. This is
my first chance to have a tower and gain antenna. The XYL is
looking for a nice home in a community setting. I want to
maximize my chances of putting up:

· A 60 to 70 foot tower with a tribander, and VHF/UHF vertical
for terrestrial communications.

·  On a separate support at about 10 feet above ground, a pair
of yagi antennas for satellite communications, and

· Some wire antennas for low band operation probably supported
by trees.

All the above to be located in the backyard of our home.
Attachment of tower to the house may or may not be preferred
depending upon insurance, local law and aesthetics.

Now for my questions:

1. I recall others asking for purchase offer riders on the
reflector. Can someone send me a copy?

2. Is now the time to contact volunteer counsel? My questions
would be: (a) confirm my understanding of height or setback
restrictions, covenants or ordinances in selected townships, (b)
review purchase offer and draft rider, and (c) if necessary,
draft the variance application and represent me before the
review board. What should I expect to pay the lawyer for these
services?

3. I've called the building departments of the townships in
which I think we may have an interest. Briefly, for those
familiar with the area, what I've found is:

· No height limitation: Columbia, Macedonia, Northfield (but
they  have an ordinance in the works for 35') and Sagamore
Hills.

· 60' height limitation: Mentor, North Royalton and
Strongsville.

· 35' limitation: Aurora, Avon Lake, Bainbridge, Broadview,
Brunswick, Hinckley, Olmsted Falls, Solon, Twinsburg, Westlake
and Medina (max 40-50').

· Less than 35': Avon, Bay Village, Brecksville and Willoughby.

· No response: Streetsboro (they  have an ordinance in the
works).

If anyone can confirm, add or correct any of this information I
would be very grateful. I have less than full confidence that
what I've been told accurately reflects the ordinances. At first
I was asking for fax copies of the ordinance but, after
receiving incomplete and contradictory information, I've
abandoned that idea until I locate a home. Can anyone tell me
about their experience with the building department or P&Z
commission in these townships? I'm willing to fight a P&Z
commission if necessary but would prefer not to.

Thanks.
--
        73 Kyle AL7J