[TowerTalk] Tower Site Hunting Near Cleveland

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Site Hunting Near Cleveland
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:23:24 EST
From:
Atty. Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:23:06 -0800 Kyle Sandel <sandelkw@alaska.net>
writes:

>1. I recall others asking for purchase offer riders on the
>reflector. Can someone send me a copy?

K1VR:  See below.

>2. Is now the time to contact volunteer counsel? My questions
>would be: (a) confirm my understanding of height or setback
>restrictions, covenants or ordinances in selected townships,

K1VR:  You will save a lot of money by going to each town clerk and
purchasing (normal price:  $4-20) each Town's bylaws.  They change.
Recently, due to the cellular/PCS push, they've been changing a lot. Your
attorney's paralegal can obtain these bylaws (at $65/hr), or you can (at
what rate do you value your own time?). With bylaws in hand, any attorney
who does this kind of work can give you answers very quickly (minutes per
town).

 (b)
>review purchase offer and draft rider

K1VR:  This sounds like the easiest portion of the effort to a layman.
Actually, it is the portion of the effort for which you will likely pay
MUCH more than you think is required, but for which you will get MUCH
more than you realize.

        Here's a story combining several recent  cases in my life.

         I don't do real estate conveyancing, but I have a friend who
does (and to whom I recommend prospective ham purchasers of property). I
did all the "antenna law" work and (as it involved three towns, including
meeting the building inspector in each to clarify his interpretations of
tough questions) charged about $2,000. It was an unusually large amount
fo work for such a matter, but the ham was moving from the West Coast and
couldn't really do any of the footwork himself. He now has a permit for
the tallest tower ever erected in that town, and we never had to go
through any hearings of any kind. Now my friend, who does the
conveyancing work, he charged $750 (but should have charged about $1,250,
as it took longer than anticipated).  But the client got about $4,000
shaved off the purchasing price when the conveyancer found some problems
which the purchaser was willing to fix himself.  So the client (remember,
this is a composite story) paid about $2,750 total (again a reminder,
this was unusually high), saved $4,000, got the antenna of his dreams,
and -- ta da --by working with lawyers who know their way around, we even
introduced the client to a bank which (1) would close sooner than the one
he found and was going to use, and (2) would match the very best price
(rate) he found from a bank which was giving him a hard time on one
element of his financial picture while not making a fuss about that
element. For the latter, there was no charge. All of these expenses, BTW,
were a tiny tiny percentage (<1%) of the home purchase price.

        Note the picture I am painting.  Using a lawyer early can save
you money, time  and grief. Of course you'd expect me to say that. And
all periodontists find periodontal disease upon examination.  And I've
never met an orthodontist who didn't think a kid needed orthodontia.
YMMV.

, and (c) if necessary,
>draft the variance application and represent me before the
>review board. What should I expect to pay the lawyer for these
>services?

K1VR:

         First, try to avoid a variance application if at all possible.
Special permits are generally easier to obtain.Construction as a matter
of right is best.

        Second, remember that no lawyer can guarantee results. You will
be best off if you do your own footwork.  Move in.  Meet the neighbors.
Charm 'em. Get a sense of who's gonna be trouble and who won't care. Get
letters of support or at least  letters of indifference. Then apply.
Figure that each evening meeting of a planning board or board of appeals
that your lawyer attends is gonna cost you about $500 (hourly rate times
hours, and he gets travel time too).

> At first
>I was asking for fax copies of the ordinance but, after
>receiving incomplete and contradictory information, I've
>abandoned that idea until I locate a home.

K1VR:  NEVER NEVER NEVER take your legal advice from someone standing
behind a counter in Town Hall. Even asking for a FAX of the appropriate
section is the equivalent of asking for legal advice, because YOU don't
know if some other section of the bylaw which the  person behind the
counter didn't think about will kill your idea.  Here's an example:  You
ask for the section on height restrictions, or antennas. She FAX'es it to
you. You read it and it looks good.  You make an offer and enclose $2,500
(or whatever is common in that market)  "earnest money." THEN you start
reading the FULL bylaw and discover a 1:1 setback, or a 50' sideyard
setback  (which may dampen or kill your dream system), and a requirement
for something called "site plan approval." But that refers you to another
section of the bylaw where you discover that a "site plan" requires a
professional engineer to declare that the soil is normal. Ka-ching,
another charge.  Now what are you gonna do about that "earnest money"?

        These are the things that lawyers worry about.

        It never ceases to amaze me how much effort a ham will put into
investigating which generator to buy (a $1,250 purchase), and how little
effort he will put into really researching his home purchase (a $100-500K
investment). Curiously, above $500K I notice that hams don't sneeze
without a lawyer.

        Obviously, as you are moving to Ohio, I have no financial
interest in your situation.  I wish you well, and leave you with this
last thought:  "YOUR" real estate agent is working for the seller.

        And now, the wisdom of Jim, W9WU.

                        Purchasing A Home

                     (Existing Construction)

          Addendum to offer to purchase between Buyers and
          Sellers, for the purchase of property at

     This offer is further contingent upon inspection by buyer
and buyer's attorney of the applicable covenants, conditions,
restrictions of record, homeowner's association rules (if any),
or other documents restricting the use and occupancy of the land
and premises in order to determine whether such documents contain
any restriction which would prohibit buyer from erecting and
maintaining his amateur radio antennae and supporting structure
not less than _____ feet in height on the property.  Within
fourteen (14) days of the signing of this agreement, seller or
seller's attorney shall furnish to buyer's attorney a spotted
survey showing all improvements, restrictions and easements, and
a copy of the existing title policy or other documents showing
such covenants, conditions or restrictions of record as well as
copies of any homeowner's association rules and regulations
affecting the property.  Buyer and buyer's attorney shall have
fourteen (14) days thereafter to inspect the documents to
determine whether the restrictions or conditions therein are
acceptable to buyer.  Should easements, covenants, conditions,
restrictions of record, homeowner association rules or
regulations exist so that buyer's installation of the
aforementioned antenna and support structure may, in buyer's sole
opinion, be inhibited or precluded, at buyer's option this
contract shall be deemed null and void, and all obligations of
both parties cancelled and all deposits refunded promptly.