[TowerTalk] Apt. Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Apt. Antennas
From: perring@texas.net (Bob Perring)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:00:45 -0600
At 18:15 2/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
I have a friend moving to an apartment.
Any other antenna ideas? He should have access to a
balcony, so wire isn't out of the question, but we can't plan on it.
=====================================
Henry,
What about a Hustler mobile antenna mounted to the balcony with a C
clamp?
Or, if he gets a ground floor apt, or has access to his car, mount the
antenna on the car, and run a coax jumper to his radio when he wants to
get on the air. Just radiate from the car!

Now, with this idea, even consider upgrading to a Texas Bug Catcher
sort of mobile antenna which is more efficient, but, of course needs
tuning as you change bands.
The Hustler system is always in tune after the initial setting of the
rod.

Years ago, I used a Hustler mobile set from my apartment and it worked
quite well. When I mounted it to the balcony, and was on a third floor,
I made a counterpoise wire for each band out of a single piece of 5
lead rotor cable. I cut one wire for an electrical 1/4 wavelength for
each band I was going to operate.
I just ran 100 watts, but never ever had a grumble from anyone with
this setup.

If he runs a long wire from the balcony, again use a counterpoise, and
make sure he feeds the wire at a current point and not a voltage point
(lengthen or shorten the wire to achieve this)
73,
Bob
N5RP