[TowerTalk] Rohn 45G/55G bracketed towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G/55G bracketed towers
From: ginsburg@BayNetworks.COM (Scott Ginsburg)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 20:03:24 -0500 (EST)
I'm interested in hearing from anyone out there who has had a Rohn 45G
or 55G bracketed tower design done for them by a PE or Mechanical
Engineer. In particular, I'd like to know how high above a single
house bracket I can go without extra support, given an antenna of 8
sq. ft. windload. If I'm reading the Rohn catalog right, it looks like
55G can handle 10 sq ft at about 30' above the bracket, 80 MPH no ice.

I read the article in Aug. 96 QST by K1KP and N1CQ that describes an
interior support system for the bracket. Unfortunately I don't have an
attic so this isn't an option. Am I out of luck without the ability to
provide interior support? Is it impossible even with 45G or 55G to
have 20 or 30' of tower above a single bracket which is just secured
to house studs?

Before seriously pursuing a bracketed design I would definitely hire a
PE. I'm just looking for a sanity check on whether or not what I'm
inquiring about is feasible.

                                                73,
                                                Scott