[TowerTalk] Rohn 45G/55G bracketed towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G/55G bracketed towers
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 17:23:24 -0800
At 5:03 PM -0800 3/8/98, Scott Ginsburg wrote:

>I'm interested in hearing from anyone out there who has had a Rohn 45G
>or 55G bracketed tower design done for them by a PE or Mechanical
>Engineer. In particular, I'd like to know how high above a single
>house bracket I can go without extra support, given an antenna of 8
>sq. ft. windload. If I'm reading the Rohn catalog right, it looks like
>55G can handle 10 sq ft at about 30' above the bracket, 80 MPH no ice.
>
>I read the article in Aug. 96 QST by K1KP and N1CQ that describes an
>interior support system for the bracket. Unfortunately I don't have an
>attic so this isn't an option. Am I out of luck without the ability to
>provide interior support? Is it impossible even with 45G or 55G to
>have 20 or 30' of tower above a single bracket which is just secured
>to house studs?

If the house isn't strong enough to secure the tower, you could easily find
your house being damaged as the tower pushes and pulls those studs.

>Before seriously pursuing a bracketed design I would definitely hire a
>PE. I'm just looking for a sanity check on whether or not what I'm
>inquiring about is feasible.

I don't believe Rohn publicly specs =any= bracketed tower with only one
bracket.

If I didn't want any guys at all and I couldn't use two very strong house
brackets, I would think about getting 60' of Rohn 65.  That will support
9.4 sq ft at 80 mph self-supporting.

Good luck.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/