[TowerTalk] Best low tower and 10-40 m

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best low tower and 10-40 m
From: gareth@capecod.net (Gareth Crispell)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:51:07 -0500
TOMK5RC wrote:

> In a message dated 98-03-11 15:30:19 EST, kk7gw@hotmail.com writes:
>
> << Okay, another person with a low dipole is venturing into the tower
>  arena.  I'm looking at a US Tower 40 or 48 foot free-standing tower, and
>  then either a tribander and a separate 40 beam, or a 10-40 beam like the
>  C4 or something.  I have about $1200-1300 to spend on the tower, the
>  antennas, and the rotators, so I can't go out and get really expensive
>  stuff.  Any suggestions for someone who knows almost nothing about
>  towers and rotatable antennas?   >>
>
> You have a real dilemma. First, $1300 will barely get you the antenna, rotor
> and cables (there are very few C-4's on the used market). Second, unless you
> live on a hill top, you are going to be very disappointed with a 40 or 20
> meter antenna at 40'. I suggest you do some more discovery on what you want
> and what you can afford.
>
> Tom, K5RC/7
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

 I think ya just have to think a bit smaller if you have a limited
budget. I know from firsthand experience! A small 3 element 10-15-20
tribander at even 45 feet will beat a dipole at the same height about
90% of the time. Also a small antenna does not require a massive rotor
and the wind load problems are minimalized. I think you have to forget
about the 40 meter beam. Put up a 40 meter half-square and work plenty
of DX. Stay within your limits, go for it, and have a ton of fun!

just my 2 centavos .... N1MSV

.....at the dawn of the New Age of Man,
     they will abide with us.
     Their glory and fire will burn like