[TowerTalk] Elevated Guy Anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elevated Guy Anchors
From: kb3aug@juno.com (Bill Hinkle)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:31:07 -0500
Chad, When I lived in MD, I had 93 feet of Rohn 25 up with a A4S with 40
meter add on. Not a whole lot of wind load. I used 4X15 (4 inches by 15
pounds a foot). I beams as anchors. One of them was out of the ground 4
feet. I fabricated a plate on the top so that I could use the equalizer
plates. On the 4 foot one I welded a 3/8's inch angle on the back side to
give it more strength. I looked like this (top view) H>. It was in the
ground 4 feet in a hole 14 inches in diameter. The guys at work said it
would hold up the world,( I worked in a steel fabrication shop). It
worked for me.
                                                                 73, Bill
KB3AUG

Riverton, WV
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:21:01 -0600 Chad Kurszewski  WE9V
<Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com> writes:
>I've done the normal extensive "back issue" search and came up needing
>more.
>

>As soon as the weather climbs considerably from this morning's single
>digit temperatures, I'm going to start digging holes for my two tower
>project at my new house.
>
>I'm looking for people who have installed elevated guy anchors.
>You know, pipe or I-beams up 3-4 feet so it's easier to cut the
>lawn and harder to get "clotheslined".
>
>Please respond direct to me as to what you used in your installation,
>how large your installation is (tower height and antenna loading),
>how you like it, what you would do differently, and if you had any
>calculations (or PE) to back you up.
>
>p.s.  Don't tell me to hire a PE.  I want to see what everyone else
>is doing and see if I can "qualify by similarity".
>

>THANKS!
>
>---
>Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
>The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos
>

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]