[TowerTalk] roof-mounted tower guys and Phillystran tensioning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] roof-mounted tower guys and Phillystran tensioning
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:26:18 EST
In a message dated 98-03-17 17:02:26 EST, bob@giseis.alaska.edu writes:

<< Any suggestions on mounting the eyebolts to the roof trusses?  I'm using
 power pole
 eyebolts.

     As long as these are adequate enough (sounds like they are), you need to
spread the forces out on the roof. Installing one anchor to one truss will
likely result in damage to the roof. Use angle iron that spans several trusses
as a minimum. I don't know off-hand what the wind speed zone is for your
location (I'll look it up when I get home) but I would plan on the worst.

     Get a PE involved to make sure that the installation is adequate. An
excellent article by K1KP involved in engineering, designing and installing a
25G housebracket. The concepts, forces and calculations are similar. You can
get a reprint for a buck from TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

> And, by the way, where can I get a cable tension guage to correctly
 tension the Phillystran?  >>

      You need a dynomometer to measure it directly (expensive but you can
rent them for about $50 a day in Seattle). The easiest and cheapest thing to
do is to use EHS steel guys for the bottom 2-3 feet. Then you can use a Loos
tension gauge to measure and tension it properly. The Loos will measure 1/4
and 3/16 inch cables and is $39.00 from TOWER TECH.

73,  Steve K7LXC