[TowerTalk] Ice on guy wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ice on guy wires
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:47:05 -0500
re concrete attachments,

Residential and commercial construction frequently use holes with epoxied
in threaded rods for such applications as holding walls of houses to
concrete slabs so they don't lift off the slab when the uplift of a strong
wind/hurricane occurs.

I have used this for tower bases and guy anchors so far with no regrets,
knock on concrete....

This method of attachment in residential construction is no longer uncommon
and actually has become very popular in residential construction since the
average builder can no longer use a tape measure to determine where his
wall studs will land, so they no longer use the traditional embedded
j-bolts -  placed in the concrete when it is poured.....they just wait til
they build the wall....tilt it up and then drill throughout the plate at
the base of the wall in between the studs and then go into the concrete
with a masonry bit.  The hole is blown free of concrete dust (cup your hand
over one side of the drill motors fan exhaust and use the air coming out
the other side to flush out the hole) and then add a two part construction
epoxy injected into the hole....the threaded rod is stuck in the epoxy and
voila.....this type of installation when stress tested usually results in
the concrete around the epoxy fracturing before the bolt or epoxy will come
free of the concrete.

A manufacturer of this type of product that is based in California is
Simpson Strong Tie....I work for one of their distributors and while I
stand to gain absolutely nothing from this referral I can tell you that
above all I am a satisfied user of their products...the line is "Epoxy Tie"
and there are several options available to you.  Any decent sized home
center or lumber yard will be selling Simpson products and can get what you
need easily.  Check out their literature for the combination of hole size
versus all thread diameter.

It is pretty slick.....we most recently used this to convert a 25G tower
base which had a section of 25G embedded in it to a 55G base, by using the
55 flat base plate - it has one of the threaded rods in its
center.....first we cut off the old base section and then formed around the
existing base and poured a new flat pier for the new base.  Came out great.

This is a pretty generic product which is made by several manufacturers,
since you are in CA which is home to Simpson Strong Tie it is probably
everywhere in your 'hood.

 73, see you in the FQP

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

What's an FQP? The Florida Contest Group is pleased to announce the
rebirth of the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm