[TowerTalk] DX "Long John" by Hy-Gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DX "Long John" by Hy-Gain
From: cdent@TENET.EDU (Catherin Dentremont)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 20:28:36 -0600
TOMK5RC wrote:

> << Very confusing.  I never heard of anything but 5 element HyGains.  K4VUD >>
>
> In the 1960's Hy-gain did make a series of "Long John" arrays that were very
> heavy duty. If I remember what the Hy-gain rep told us at the time, they were
> designed for miliatry MARS stations and to compete with Telrex. They did not
> sell.
>
> I had a brand new 5 element 20 on a 48' boom (Model 205B). It weighed 120
> pounds and came with a balun made from rigid coax in a cast aluminum box. It
> had an incredible tilt-cradle boom-to-mast bracket that made erection and
> derection a breeze.
>
> Tom, K5RC/7

Thanks to Tom and all the others who have sent me replies on this...both
on and
off the reflector.  Thanks especially to Roger Cox of Hy-Gain for taking
the time
to reply directly and settle the issue definitively.  The 106B had a
36ft. long
boom that was 3" in dia.
        FWIW, for those who have old QST's to refer to...there is a photo on
pg. 5
of the Dec. '65 issue that shows the "stack" at K7UGA's QTH.  This was
the Model
RP100 (Rotating Pole - 100ft.) that had the 106B at the top.  Directly
underneath
was the 403B...three <full-sized> elements on 40M on a 48' boom with the
205B that
Tom referred to just below. A 155B...5el on 15M rounded out the array.
        Thanks again to all who replied and helped clarify this for me.

73, Gerald  W5BA