[TowerTalk] Without Benefit of Concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Without Benefit of Concrete
From: rudder1@ibm.net (Malcolm Clark)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:23:11 +0000
FWIW, Rohn manufactures a drive in base for 25G that does not require
any concrete.  It is part number SDB25G and is similar to a regular
concrete base plate except that a large flanged spike is welded on the
bottom.  The catalog says: "To be driven directly into ground."

To me, the catalog is not clear on the use of this base.  Obviously it
can be used for guyed towers and not for self supporting towers.  But
the statement regarding house bracketed towers refers to using "fixed"
bases and forbids "pinned" bases.  I think an unequivocal statement
regarding the drive in base should be included.

I don't know what this base costs, but considering the cost of concrete
and the labor involved, this sucker should be worth investigating for
someone putting up a guyed tower.

No such base is listed for 45G and up.

73 Malcolm KR4HP