[TowerTalk] Without Benefit of Concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Without Benefit of Concrete
From: andrew@gi0nwg.demon.co.uk (Andrew Williamson)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 00:03:29 +0100
In message <3.0.5.32.19980414160339.007a5590@adam.cheshire.net>, Robert
Hummel <rhummel@cheshire.net> writes
>to the
>needed.

>>OK, but how high is the roof.  :-)
>
>Base to bracket: 30 ft
>Above bracket: 10ft flat-top section.
>Above flattop: 10ft mast w/tribander
>Rotor (CDR-22) about 2ft below flattop
>One leg of dipole at 38ft.
>Base is 3-4ft below grade buried in 1.5" crushed rock with appropriate
>drainage.

Jeez, you guys must get very light winds.  Towers like those listed
above wouldn't last a week in GI.  They wouldn't even last a day in the
Winter time.

Play it safe guys, put some concrete in the base.  We don't want another
'late' radio ham.  Some of the freestanding ham towers I've worked on
have at least seven cubic yards (about 20 tons) of concrete in the base.
In all cases, overengineer it !!!!  It's cheap insurance.

Vy 73,

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.demon.co.uk/

P.S. see you all in CQ WPX CW from GI0KOW.