[TowerTalk] Heavy duty mast -- recommendations ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heavy duty mast -- recommendations ??
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 11:51:34 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-25 11:20:07 EDT, QCS0041@InfoAve.Net writes:

> I am in need of a mast to complete the list of parts and pieces for my
>  antenna project. Can anyone suggest a " local " supplier for a 20 foot
>  2 inch o. d., .25 inch wall, 50,000 psi min. rating mast ?  The 2
>  suppliers that I am aware of are halfway or all the way across the
>  country from here and the freight charges are quite high on this
>  item.
>  My attempts to find one locally have been unproductive so far. All the
>  plumbing supply houses have a variety of heavy pipe, but they don't know
>  anything about ASTM 120 or psi ratings or
>  such.

      Try your yellow pages under steel suppliers, pipe/tube suppliers, etc.
You're looking for carbon steel tubing and not pipe so a plumbing supply house
won't know what you're talking about.

     Companies like Tube Sales, etc. have offices all over the place
(Atlanta?). The psi rating is SAE 1027 or thereabouts. Texas Towers has some
masts. These are not inexpensive plus the freight for one piece of steel is
not insignificant either.

Cheers, Steve  K7LXC