[TowerTalk] 402-CD vs. EF-240X

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 402-CD vs. EF-240X
From: otterstad@inet.uni2.dk (Ragnar Otterstad)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:37:30 +0200
: I think a good indication of how well the 40-2CD has been is the fact
that
: it is virtually impossible to find a used one!  The combination of a
: performing design coupled with the ability to turn it without destroying
: ham-grade rotor is a successful combination.
:
: I would love to someday try stacking them with one half way up the tower,
: but only if I can find a used one - I have been looking and looking
: and....they are tough to find!
:
: Very pleased with ours, if you have hear W1CW on 40 meter CW most nights
: you will know what I mean....
:
: K4OJ

I had one for a couple of years and it performed well, while it lasted. The
mechancial parts are lousy.
The coil- to- element attatchment tends to become very intermittent and you
never know when you have a beam for a totally different frequency.

If they would clean up their act and use more durable parts it was an
antenna I would recommend.
I switched to Force12 tri-bander  20-30-40 a little over 2 years ago and
have had no failures.  The settings are tricky initially, but once the
antenna is in place it seems to stay there - even after heavy
winter wind storms.

For what it is worth !

73   Rag   OZ8RO