[TowerTalk]help from the power company

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk]help from the power company
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:17:03 -0400 (EDT)
At 04:52 PM 5/11/98 -0600, Don Nutt, N6TDM/0 wrote:
>Malcom,
>
>Obligation.  I don't think so.  For 5+ years I tried to get SMUD
(Sacramento >Municpal Utility District) to come out and fix 5 poles (20+ S9
on 40mtr  min). >They concurred my findings but could not justify since the
loss in dollars was >not enough to offset the inconvenience of about 10
families while the poles >were undergoing repair.  Calls to California PUC
(Public Utlities Commission)>did not help and calls to the FCC were of no help.>
>The density of homes was the contributing factor.  The RFI was killer to HF
>but not to VHF commercial service or EMS.
>
>If they (the electric companies) have an obligation,  where is it in writing?

Don,

Bill Nelson, WA6FQG formerly of So. Cal Edison has a great interference
handbook.  I heard him at a convention several years ago and he stated then
that the FCC has  charged the power companies to keep their systems clean. A
call to the Atlanta FCC FOB office will get a Georgia Power crew out fairly
quickly.  However, they expect you to help (as you have seem to have done)
to locate the poles that are the likely suspects.

I to have heard the excuse of we can't afford to fix the problem (this
usually comes from overworked district engineers)..you just have to get to
a much higher management level.  Usually the FCC FOB office has the exact
contact names you need.

BTW Underground systems can cause RFI too but it usually goes away between 8
and 9 mhz and is caused by bad grounds or transforners that have taken a
lightning strike.  Above ground systems have many false hot points and
require 130 to 150 Mhz AM receivers to pinpoint.

Never take no for an answer if the line noise is wiping you out and you are
clean.

Dave K4JRB