[TowerTalk] BPF for power line noise ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BPF for power line noise ?
From: morel.grunberg@telrad.co.il (Morel Grunberg)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 08:41:53 +0300
Hello,

I would like to thanks for all the replies I received on the power line
noise
issue.

Maybe I did a mistake and didn't describe all the problem and solutions
I've tried over the last year.

The noise is intermitent and comes from three different sources : two
22kV lines & transformers and one 100kV power line placed 80-200ft
from my QTH. Also, I'm living very close to the sea and the corrosion
of the HV power lines hardware together with dust particles and high
humidity levels are making a hard to fight combination. It's not clear
if the local power company has a legal obligation to solve the problem,
but they were very friendly and cooperative : periodic cleaning of the
isolators and other hardware with hi-pressure distillated-water guns,
hardware change and transformers fixing. But it helps for few weeks
only and became an endless war ( yes, I know, moving to an other
QTH will help, hi, hi ).

I tried few phasing devices like ANC-4 and MFJ with poor results. I
built an extensive noise pick-up 6 antennas system but the noise is
coming from different directions and the phasing is quite impossible.

No rig was able to help ( FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, TS-950, TS-870
or IC-775 were tried ). Now I'm waiting for the Kachina 505DSP
remote version to solve the problem in a different way.

73 de Morel, 4X1AD