[TowerTalk] Launching dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Launching dipoles
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 03:07:51 -0700
A bow and arrow combo has worked well for me for years. Buy a small
fishing reel and mount it just off center of the bow. TAPE the line to
the arrow just forward of the feathers....Shooter up to go over the top
of the tree and hopefully, down the other side of the trunk.

Now go to the arrow, and secure a light strong line ( I use the stuff
they put in chalk markers ). Now ( without the arrow of course ), just
reel in the line until you have your chalk line in hand...tape the
permanent line ( I use 3/8" nylon ) to the chalk line, go back and draw
the permanent line in place. You need to draw enough line so that the
line, when released, will allow the antenna to reach the ground.

All there is to it...One word of caution...If the arrow gets stuck, and
pulling won't free it, you have to break the line...DO NOT stand in the
same position you originally were when you fired the thing....

Accidentally shot myself in the wrist when the arrow came free after I
really really pulled. Fortunately, I screw a small bolt in the end of
the arrow to give it head weight, but that sucker still penetrated
about  1/4". Try explaining that to a doctor..

73

Ed