[TowerTalk] Guy Wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Wires
From: stan@capeonramp.com (Stan)
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 21:20:06 -0400
J.P. Kleinhaus wrote:

> While we're on the subject of guys and tensioning, what is the
> method used to pre-tension the guys before attaching the turnbuckles
> to the anchor rod equalizing plates?
>
> I don't think I can pull them anywhere close to 670 pounds on
> my own :-)
>
> Also, how close to spec do you need to pull them before terminating
> the guys with the final big grip and turnbuckle?  I can't see
> that the turnbuckle has all that much adjustment ability; or does
> it?
>
> I am completely unfamiliar with these things and my guy wire materials
>
> will be arriving some time next week.
>
> 73, J.P. W2XX
> --
>
> J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)
> E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net
>
> As we say in the software business:  "You are hosed."

I use a temporay "pulling eye' placed around the guy anchor below the EQ
plates. a KLEIN cable grip temporarily on the guy line above where the
preform grip will be fixed, and a "come-a-long" between the cable grip
and the pulling eye,

Preformed Line Products makes the pulling eyes..  about 40$ each....
good for 1/2 to much larger guy anchor shafts....

Open up the turnbuckle to max workable length and secure to the guy
anchor EQ plate. It probably does not matter if the right handed thread
is down or up, but be consistent EVERY WHERE  a turnbuckle is used...
Fit a preformed grip through the upper turnbuckle eye with a thimble...

snug up the guy with the "come-a-long"  to proper guy line tension.

fit the preformed grip to the guy line below the cable grip, leaving
about 2" unwrapped,
to be wrappped later after all is OK.....

snug up the turnbuckle by hand to required tension. or less, pending
final snugging after all guys are permanently in place.......

If you screwed up and did'nt put the preformed grip high enough, unwrap
it and start again..

with the turnbuckle snugged up loosen the "come-a-long" and remove the
temporary cable grip and the pulling eye.....

go on to the next guy line.....

Stan, WA1ECF   Cape Cod, MA   FN41sr