[TowerTalk] Raising mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Raising mast?
From: stan@capeonramp.com (Stan)
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 21:35:54 -0400
BILL.MADDOCK@fluordaniel.com wrote:

>      I will be trying to raise a 24 ft long mast 2" OD 1/4" wall to
> the top
>      of my tower Rohn 45. The mast is already inside the tower it will
> just
>      need to be raised up! I have a Rohn 25/45 ginpole, will this be
> strong
>      enough for the job or should I look for another means? The mast
> weighs
>      about 130 pounds.
>
>      73's and Thanks
>
>      Bill N4ZI Atoka, TN

I erected my 70' of ROHN 45 by myself  and it was fun.

My mast was 15' of steel with the bottom 10' reinforced, weight was
about 55 pounds.

On tower assembly, the mast was inserted into the tower when I had 20'
erected...

after the tpwer was topped off, I pulled the mast up with a boat trailer
hand crank winch and it worked well. My first attempt to pull the mast
up by hand was too difficult because of the limited range of pull I
could apply through the tower section.. I pooped out quickly..

I fabricated a box from construction lumber with the crank winch inside,
the handle side and the bottom of the bosx was open.. I set the box on
top of the flat top section cranked out the 3/16"
line down to the mast..... then cranked it up.   was reasonably
painless.....

After it was raised  above the lower rotator plate,    I anchored it,
removed the winch and box
and manually raised the mast to the level need to start installing
antennas...

Stan, WA1ECF   Cape Cod, MA   FN41sr