[TowerTalk] Formula?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Formula?
From: clewis@ro.com (Chuck Lewis)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 13:19:46 -0500
Chris, ZS6EZ asks--

From:  "Match Your Antenna To Your Tower", Roger A, Cox, WB0DGF
(Telex/HyGain), HAM RADIO, June, 1984.....

        F = PA,
        where F is wind force in pounds, P is the wind pressure in lb./ft^2,
        and A is the antenna wind area in ft.^2

        P = 0.004 V^2,
        where V is wind velocity in MPH

        Examples:
        At 80 MPH, P = 25.6 lb./sq. ft.
        At 100 MPH, P = 40 lb./sq. ft.

        for a 10 sq. ft. antenna, F = 256 lb. @ 80 MPH,
        and 400 lb. @ 100 MPH

        etc.

Note: The equation P = 0.004 V^2 accounts for gusts and turbulence;
      for steady laminar flow, P = 0.00256 V^2 should be used.

This is a very useful article, and is available as a reprint from our
esteemed list owner, K7LXC, who must have been too embarrassed to
mention it yet one more time! ;^)

73,
Chuck, N4NM