[TowerTalk] Re: Antenna Height yet again

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Antenna Height yet again
From: frohro@wwc.edu (Rob Frohne)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 12:05:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Tom, et. al.,

I'm right now debating whether to put my quad back up at 120 feet.
It is now at 90 feet.  It is used primarily on 20 meters, but once
in a while on the other four bands up to 10 meters.  My comments
are concering 20 meters.

First, I want to hear more from you big guns that have multiple antennas
at different heights.  I wish I could talk to Simon, OH8OS, who
did a study on this years ago with his 36 element array.  I would love to
have some statistical data with notes on how much difference there is
between the same antennas at different heights on different paths.  If
someone would provide me with that I would be glad to do the mathematical
analysis to make sense of it.  It would make a very interesting paper
that I'm sure all of us would wish to read.

Second, I'd like to add my experiences to those of others.  My data has
not been collected scientifically, but comes from many hours operating
on the 20 meter band and gathering every thread of information on what
makes a big signal there.

QTH matters.  The best QTH I know of is the middle of a large salt
marsh.  Gale Alred, (KL7G, KL7JW & before that KL7BJW) had one kind of
like that.  The antenna should be about 120 feet above that kind of
reflector, and should be a monobander.  I'd like to know of other
big guns' QTH situations.

My present methods of analysis tend to give preference to the long
paths, because there are no really active locals that I can compare
with.  I have been comparing with others in the Pacific Northwest
and note that on the long path, the antenna at 120 feet worked
about an S unit better than it does at 90 feet.  For the short path to
Europe, it is about the same sometimes, and other times it seems to
be worse, especially when the band is just opening or closing.

Anyone know of any scientific studies along these lines or of these
questions?

73,

Rob, KL7NA/W7