[TowerTalk] Re: Antenna Height yet again

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Antenna Height yet again
From: geoiii@kkn.net (george fremin iii)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:10:40 -0500 (CDT)
>Second, I'd like to add my experiences to those of others.  My data has
>not been collected scientifically, but comes from many hours operating
>on the 20 meter band and gathering every thread of information on what

>My present methods of analysis tend to give preference to the long
>paths, because there are no really active locals that I can compare
>with.  I have been comparing with others in the Pacific Northwest
>and note that on the long path, the antenna at 120 feet worked
>about an S unit better than it does at 90 feet.  For the short path to
>Europe, it is about the same sometimes, and other times it seems to
>be worse, especially when the band is just opening or closing.

I am confused - do you have the antennas at the same location
or diffrent ones?  When dealing with antenna heights you need to
take the local terrain into account because what works great
at your friends house where the land is flat might not be
the height that works well at your hilltop (or hill bottom) location.

>Anyone know of any scientific studies along these lines or of these
>questions?

Get a copy of the most recent ARRL antenna book w/software - I think
it will get you started.

--

George Fremin III          "I'm talkin' 'bout that outlaw X
Austin, Texas                It's cuttin' through the air.... "