[TowerTalk] Lining up Antenna Elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lining up Antenna Elements
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider, N3RR)
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 02:47:44 +0100
Larry,

Don't worry too much about it.  The "alignment" is for your eyes only.  The
elements may be off horizontal alignment by as much as 30 degrees, or more,
before it will affect anything related to the antenna pattern.  That said,
while balancing the antenna on a (pair of, or more) saw horses, just eyeball
the boom dead-on from about 30-40 feet away and note the elements and adjust
each of them to have the same "below the boom" distance (from the first element
you adjusted) on each side of the boom (left and right) as you observe it,
while the antenna is balanced.  When you finish, remember, that it really
doesn't matter.  Your eyeballing technique will get it to within less than a
couple degrees of alignment and that's good enough for an antenna that will 10s
(or 20s) of feet above the ground for "looks" and it will not make even one
tenth of a dB of difference electrically.

Bill, N3RR