[TowerTalk] HF Beam Comparisons - Continued!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF Beam Comparisons - Continued!
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 00:14:27 -0400
> No Quads??
>
> 2 element 5 band quad from Lightn' bolt is under $300.
> OK doesn't cover 30 meters.
> 73  Robert

Robert, et al:

   Can you help me with three questions?

1.  Can a 5 band quad be stacked at 40 and 70 feet ... this
     would require one to be side mounted ... is that
     acceptable?

2.  How does a 5 band quad compare to a log periodic, a
     staggered-mono such as a Force 12 5BA, a multiband no-
     trap yagi, or a traditional trapped multi-band yagi?

3.  What is the survivability of a quad versus a beam here in
     New England where icing and high winds gang up on
     antennas?

   I am more tempted to try quads on 6 & 2, even 12-17-30, because they are
all non-critical bands for me.  I am fearful of having my 10-15-20m quad
trashed in mid-winter!

   73, DavidC  AA1FA