[TowerTalk] Noisey Tubular Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Noisey Tubular Tower
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:07:12 -0900
At 19:43 6/23/98 -0400, Richard Stasiak wrote:

<excerpt><smaller>Hopefully someone can give me some direction on this
problem.....

</smaller>

<smaller>I've got a US Tower MA770 (70' tubular tower with a rotating
base), installed in the fall of last year.  A Force 12 C4SXL yagi ( 8 el
on a 22 foot boom)  is the only antenna on it. The tower spends most of
its time at the 50 foot height.  As my lot is small, the tower is about
15 feet from my bedroom window.

</smaller>

</excerpt><smaller>In any kind of wind, the antenna will twist the top
sections of the tower.  The assymetrical design of the yagi leads to a
lot of twisting.  Unfortunately, when the sections twist in each other
the tower makes irritating noises, not unlike a groaning or grating
sound.  Its starting to get to me and the XYL is suggesting that it might
be nice to get rid of the whole thing. </smaller>

Hi,  my MA-550 has made these noises for nearly six years now;  it is

just outside our bedroom,  and on the XYL's side of the bed.

We both have gotten accustomed to the squeaks and clanks.  It is

NOT unusual for a tubular!  The upper sections ride on the cable,

and when the upper part is twisted by wind forces on the antenna,

the section rotates and hits the key stop,  and usually squeaks also.

Just the way it is.

73,  Jim,  KH7M