[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:38:15 -0700
First off, I believe that applies only to towers and their
associated grounding and guying system.
Secondly, I have great concerns about the logic (and the company)
behind the F revision. Yes disimilar metals are an issue, and
perhaps that tower did fall because of corrosion caused by that
scenario; however, there are many issues that should be looked
at in considering what to use. One of them is pH. Another is the
fact that an anchor going into the earth and then into concrete will
corrode at that point, and a third is that an anchor going through
several layers of earth, each with a different pH, will corrode at
each of the boundaries. So I think by narrowly focusing on one,
albeit important, aspect, other important issues are ignored which
can (and will) cause havoc in the future.

I will base my decision on the pH of the local soil, and depending
on that, the cost differntial of the galvanized and copper-clad ground
rods. If a tower was involved, I would follow Rev F although
I disagree with the reasons behind the galvanized only stricture. I am
sure too that the legal types would suggest I go with galvanized
regardless of pH if a tower was involved.

73, Bob AA0CY