[TowerTalk] Soldering connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soldering connectors
From: garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net (Gary Schwartz)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 22:00:21 -0500 (CDT)
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 n8ug@juno.com wrote:

> Hello Al,
> While this procedure might work well for one person like yourself who
> understands the possible consequences, it is basically flawed because
> tubing cutters right out of the box are too dull and have too wide of a
> "vee" shape  to make a clean cut through the various media without
> turning the ends of the shield and/or foil in toward the center conductor
> while leaving an impression in the dielectric that is a radius instead of
> a right angle as required to properly seat against the inner face of the
> connector.

I have not found this to be the case when the braid is tinned in the
method of my previous post.  I have even measured the diameter of the
braid and found it to be the same both at the location of the cut and on
virgin braid.  YMMV.

73,
Gary K9GS
 /   FP/K9GS, TO5M   |Society of Midwest Contesters |____________________