[TowerTalk] 25G Rotator Plate.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 25G Rotator Plate.
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 07:15:23 -0700

Stan Griffiths wrote:

> >This has probably been asked before but how in the heck do you get the
> >rotator
> >plate on 25G to fit inside the tower.  Appears I may have to either bend or
> >cut some of the cross braces to get it to fit.  Prior to doing that, I
> >thought
> >I'd ask all the experts out there.
> >
> >Should have stayed with the 45G!!!!!!!
> >
> >Dave
> >KF8KW
> >Bowling Green, KY
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> There is a specific place where there are no diagonal braces to install
> rotator shelves in 25G top sections.  You can also install them at the
> junction of the top section and the section below it if you cut out one
> horizontal brace at the bottom of the top section so you can get the rotator
> inside the tower.
>
> Stan  w7ni@teleport.com

This is also a problem with the Rohn HW (often referred to as 35G) section.
If the tower is already up, cutting and splinting the brace is about all one can
do.
Since my HW is still on the ground, I fabricated a bolt in removable brace by
welding a flat plate to each end of the brace rod. Then welded 2 plates with
matching bolt pattern to the tower legs. A bit of touch up with some cold galv
afterwards.
The rotor plate is attached to the bottom horiz brace in the top section and I
cut
the top diag brace in the next section down, because I'm putting a prop pitch in
it. The prop pitch mounts under the plate instead of on top like most other
rotators.
The same can be done for 25G. You just have to pay attention to the azimuth
positioning of the prop pitch casing to clear the bracing.

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress