[TowerTalk] Re: What tape to use? Crimping?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: What tape to use? Crimping?
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:31:03 -0400
> >This occurred to me to ask after reading about taping the end
> >caps:  Why don't we just crimp the end tips closed?
> >What's the problem with doing that?  Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
> If we are talking about the cap at the very end of the element,
> there may be a good reason not to crimp them.  The palstic cap
> (if it covers the end of the element) prevents exposure of the
> sharp (relative term) edges of the end of the element from
> becoming formation sites for corona streamers.  Even if the
> corona noise isn't a concern because you plan not to be using the
> antenna in high potential fields, it is not a good idea to
> attract lightning to the end of an element that has traps in it.
> 73, Eric  N7CL
If I may kibitz, how about if one crimps the ends (may require some
adjusting of the element length to maintain resonance) then dip the end in
the liquid rubber one may get for coating the handles of small tools?

BTW:  What about the open ends of the 3" heavy duty boom of a KLM KT34XA
(and similar)?  Are folks covering these with screen or something?  Seems
an obvious place for heavy ice and snow buildup in the Winter ... and for
lots of birds and bugs to see as a wonderful nesting place in the Summer.
73, DavidC  AA1FA