[TowerTalk] aluminum joint preparation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] aluminum joint preparation
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:58:39 -0700
Bill Aycock wrote:

> I am about to re-furbish and re-assemble a old CushCraft tri-bander. >It
> seems to be in pretty good shape. the questions I need to cover are:
> 1. how should I clean the joints .
> 2. what should I use to protect the joints?

 Hi All.

This is an interesting question.  I came into a bunch of old KLM Big
 Stickers that had blown down. The aluminum came in very handy for
 antenna projects, but it was impossible to get the sections apart as
 whatever was used ended up like glue.  I tried all the tricks, heat,
 etc, but nada.  I finally ended up hacksawing them apart, and that lost
 all the swagged ends.  What is the best thing to use to be able to get
 the elements apart in a couple of years?  73
 Tom W7WHY