[TowerTalk] Antenna Projected Areas & Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Projected Areas & Towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:32:52 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-20 09:26:40 EDT, ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us writes:

Statement #1:

>  What will enable us to make
>  direct
>  > comparisons between antenna and tower figures?
>
>  The flat projected areas will.

Statement #2:

>  The new Hygain values are directly applicable to the 222-E Rohn tower
>  layout
>  drawings. I just got a new catalogue from Champion Radio that contains
>  222-E
>  drawings. Please advise when the 222-F info is available. Since, the EIA
>  (and most
>  other) spec's allow a reduction in wind loading of an antenna (they call
>  it an
>  appurtenance) based on the use of "round members", we get to use the
>  larger areas
>  contained in the oval outlines of the Rohn diagrams. We get to use a
>  larger area
>  because the "round membered" antenna needs more projected area to
>  produce the same
>  load on the tower as a "flat membered" antenna (values in the
>  rectangles). The
>  area in the rectangle produces the same load on the tower as the area in
>  the oval.
>  The only difference is the shape of the members.
>  This is a clue not to build your antennas with square or rectangular
>  tubing,
>  because it has a higher drag coefficient and will result in higher loads
>  on the
>  tower!

      In Statement #1 you say "  The flat projected areas will."

      In Statement #2 you say "we get to use the larger areas contained in the
oval outlines of the Rohn diagrams".

      Aren't these contradictory? My question still remains - "WHICH figure do
we use to determine Rohn antenna load capacities vis-a-vis amateur yagis?"

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC