[TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 17:56:29 -0400
> >Does anyone seriously believe they can overload a crank-up
> >tower and protect it with a wind-direction controlled rotor?

I was not among those discussing a crank-up, don't have one and am unlikely
to ever have one.  My tower is fixed and both it and the beam will be rated
to take normal winds.

I am interested in the value of a warning system that flags the sort of
occasional sustained winds that might damage a large beam (and perhaps
stress the tower under it) unless the beam is turned to take it safely.

> >The wind can change directions in a hurry.  It takes 15 to 20 seconds to
rotate 90
> >degrees, after the command is issued.  de  Tom   N4KG

A big beam on a Rohn 25 tower can tolerate lots of wind and ice load for
15-20 second bursts (and longer).  But to turn it (manually, or
automatically when absent from the shack) to minimize the impact of
sustained unusual winds would seem to make a whole lot of sense.  Is this a
panacea, no.  Isn't it a good piece of overall damage prevention?
--
73, DavidC  AA1FA

"Faith is the posture that life is not a cruel joke played on us by no
one."  Anonymous