[TowerTalk] Flat top vs Inv Vee

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Flat top vs Inv Vee
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:24:36 -0700
w8ji.tom wrote:

> For example, an 80 meter inverted V dipole at 180 feet
> provides almost exactly the same performance as a perfectly flat dipole at
> 160 feet. It's much easier for me to have a single 180 foot support than two
> 160 foot supports

Hi Tom.
Another thing we have to figure on is that if you have 2 160 foot
towers, the antenna will probably be about 140 feet up at the center as
150-200 feet of RG-8 is pretty heavy and there is bound to be a lot of
sag.  Of course, you could put up 3 towers and then have a perfectly
flat dipole.  I'm now using an inverted "V" on 80 at about 90 feet and
it's the best 80 meter antenna I've ever used.  73
Tom W7WHY