[TowerTalk] hitch-hiking

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] hitch-hiking
From: mlowell@noclant.navy.mil (Mark Lowell, N1LO)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:51:47 -0400
Thank you to all who have written so far, on and off the reflector. I agree
that being slow is much better than being dead, paralyzed, or disfigured!!
Our free-climbing (for ascent and descent only) friend has been doing it a
long time, and is setting a very bad example, it seems.

Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:03:16 -0700  Riki, 4X4NJ wrote:
snip
>>The safety
equipment that I purchased is manufactured by "Petzl" (European
manufacturer).  My harness has a special D-Ring attachment point  in the
front. Attached to the D-Ring is an  energy absorbing device which the
manufacturer calls a "Zyper".  From a practical standpoint, the Zyper has 2
ropes, each about 3 feet long ending in gorilla hooks.  In actuality, the 2
ropes in the Zyper are really one rope that goes through a special ring
that is designed to allow controlled slippage (3 feet maximum) of the rope
end  with the unconnected gorilla hook. What happens is that if you should
fall, the gorilla hooked lanyard that is part of the Zyper  brings you to a
controlled stop while dissipating much of your free-fall kinetic energy in
the Zyper. >>

snip

Thank you, Riki for that contribution. Yes, I have a full fall arrest
harness with seat, side rings, a chest ring and a ring between the shoulder
blades. It is made by DBI/SALA, and also has a very comfortable padded hip
belt. Happily, the belt loop accommodates a leather tool pouch on the back
that I got from Wal-mart.

I have visited the Petzl website to learn more about the Zyper:

  http://www.petzl.com/english/dir/zyper.html

They also have technical information about fall arresting that should be
required reading:

http://www.petzl.com/english/dir/viaferrata.html

 and understanding shock load:

  http://www.petzl.com/english/dir/shock.html#3

Now, back to the Zyper. Their picture doesn't show any kind of hooks on the
Zyper. I have heard friends using the term 'gorilla hook' many times, but I
still don't know what one looks like. Can you give a manufacturer's name and
model? I have seen climbing hooks meant for rock crevasses such as the Black
Diamond Cliffhanger hook:

http://rei.com/shopping/store3/CLIMBING/ROCK_PROTECTION/PITONS_BOLTS/bud/471
120.html

Is this suitable for climbing towers? It looks like you place it in the
curve of your fingers as you hook on to each brace, and snap your lanyard
into the bottom with a 'biner. Also they mention that a webbing sling is
required. Does this go around your wrist? How is this rigged?

Please carry on with comments.

--...MARK--N1LO...--

PS: We are preparing for Hurricane Bonnie! Checking guy tension, buying
supplies, etc.