[TowerTalk] hitch-hiking

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] hitch-hiking
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:30:48 -0400
At 04:27 PM 8/25/98 -0700, force12@interserv.com wrote:

>Good afternoon.
>
>I also use a "decelleration unit" made by Klein. It is a pouch with a
lanyard.
>The lanyard is hooked to the tower and the pouch to your D-ring. The pouch
>contains flat strap attached to the lanyard. If you fall, the stitching
holding
>the many layers of strap rip out so that your fall is decellerated. Think
it was
>about 50 bucks. Sure comes in handy climbing around TIC rings and other
>difficult moves.

Of course, fall once and you have to replace it.  Still it'd probably get
dirty in the process anyway  ;^}

I just use a simple 6-foot "fall arrest" lanyard hooked to the D-ring in
the center of my back.  The extra trouble of reaching down, unhooking it at
my feet and rehooking it at head height is trivial compared to the risk of
climibing unsecured.

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia