[TowerTalk] Answer to Pete's (N4ZR) Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Answer to Pete's (N4ZR) Question
From: sbest@cushcraft.com (sbest@cushcraft.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 98 13:32:12

     Pete:

     Let's start with the simplest case.  The 50 ohm antenna fed with 50
     ohm coax, balun (1:1) and 50 ohm transmitter.  Let's first assume that
     the coax and balun are lossless.  If we deliver 1000 Watts power into
     the transmission line, 1000 Watts power will be delivered to the
     antenna for radiation.  Let's now assume that the coax is 100 feet
     long and has 2 dB/100 feet attenuation.  With 1000 Watts power into
     the transmission line, 369.04 Watts will be lost in the coax and
     630.96 Watts will be delivered to the antenna for radiation.

     Now lets consider the more complex case of the same antenna connected
     to the transmitter with a 600 ohms feeder and a tuner.  I will assume
     that the tuner is lossless.  I will also assume that the feeder line
     has no spurious radiation.

     I will first assume that the feeder line is 100 feet long and lossless.
     The steady state input impedance at the input of the feeder will be
     63.524 - j310.662 ohms. Using a conjugate match tuner the following
     power distribution will occur:

     The initial power delivered to the tuner will be 284 Watts.  The
     initial power delivered to the antenna will be 80.67 Watts.  The
     steady state power delivered to the antenna will be 1000 Watts (80.67
     watts signal, 919.33 watts echo).  A 600 ohm forward power meter would
     read 3521 Watts at the tuner output and a 600 ohm reverse power meter
     would read 2521 watts at the tuner output.

     If the feeder line has 2 dB/100 feet attenuation (no VSWR or other
     affects included so that it is the same level as above matched antenna
     example), the input impedance to the feeder line will be 226.373 -
     j277.493 ohms.  Using a conjugate match tuner the following power
     distribution will occur:

     The initial power delivered to the tuner will be 715 Watts.  The
     initial power delivered to the antenna will be 128.13 Watts.  The
     steady state power delivered to the antenna will be 250.65 Watts
     (128.13 watts signal, 122.52 watts echo).  A 600 ohm forward power
     meter would read 1399 Watts at the tuner output and a 600 ohm reverse
     power meter would read 399 watts at the tuner output.  Note that the
     wattmeters would indicate 1000 Watts steady state power being
     delivered into the feeder line.  However, because of the feeder loss
     in both the forward and reverse directions, the steady state power to
     the antenna is reduced significantly.

     With line attenuation included in the calculations, the matched antenna
     radiates 380.3 Watts (4 dB) more steady state power than the antenna with
     600 ohm feeder and tuner.

     When attenuation is considered, the matched antenna system radiates more
     power than the unmatched/tuner combination.

     In practice, match your antenna to the transmission line as good as
     possible and use the lowest loss line possible (no new revelations here).

     I can provide the math if anyone wants to see how the calculations are
     performed.

     73,
     Steve VE9SRB

_________________________________ Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mismatch Loss and