[TowerTalk] Answer to Pete's (N4ZR) Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Answer to Pete's (N4ZR) Question
From: TexasRF@aol.com (TexasRF@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:41:11 EDT
It is appropriate at this point in the loss discussion to move from the
theoretical to real world.

In the real world, the matched line would be 200 ft of RG213/U coax, the
balanced line would be 200ft of 600ohm line with two number 10 conductors
spaced for Zo=600 ohms. The frequency would be 14 Mhz.

I think under this more likely scenario the real point of using balanced lines
would be very apparent and will show that the matched line loss is even higher
than the unmatched line loss in this application .

We have known for decades from charts in the ARRL handbook that SWR causes
line losses to increase. No argument here, we know this to be true, and have
proven it to ourselves numerous times, especially at vhf/uhf, where line
losses are already higher.

I look forward to seeing the comparison numbers per the above discussion.

73 to all,
Gerald Williamson, K5GW