[TowerTalk] Taping traps?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Taping traps?
From: smlx@earthlink.net (Steve Lawrence)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 19:24:41 -0800
Has anyone done any testing on traps to determine the effect of using #33
tape on the end caps? Hy-gain says that taping the boom side of their traps
is not a problem but taping anymore than a quarter of an inch of the cap on
the out board side away from the boom affects frequency and increases trap
loss. This is tough to accept since the dielectric material of the cap is
already physically in place and the tape will simply keep it there. I have
a TH6 which has been up for many years and while at least half of the caps
are now no where to be seen, the practical performance of the antenna
remains unchanged. If the trap frequency were to change by even 1%, would
it really make a difference - and what is the trap frequency manufacturing
tolerance? I've also been told that taping has had no affect on performance
- numerous instances.

I am about to put 12 hy-gain traps and 8 cushcraft traps in the air. To
tape or not to tape - while it's still easy - that is the question?

73, Steve WB6RSE