[TowerTalk] Taping traps?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Taping traps?
From: smlx@earthlink.net (Steve Lawrence)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 19:06:03 -0800
Thanks for all of the comments regarding taping of traps. The Hy-gain info
makes it clear that the change in frequency as a percentage of the
operating frequency is insignificant with tape added to the trap covers. I
would venture a guess that the mechanical pressure of the tape, the trap
cover or the lack of trap cover contributes to a dimension change that
affects capacitance in a very minor way. I would also guess that the same
order of magnitude change to the traps can occur while the elements flap in
the breeze. Practically speaking, I have my answer. The trap covers will be
taped. Now, would trap covers of some other material - UV resistant - be a
better choice for the antenna manufacturers? Anyone out there working on a
thesis for an advanced degree in materials application?

And to whomever it was that questioned why I would question Hy-gain or any
other manufacturer's recommendations, all I can say is that: It's in my
nature.

73, Steve WB6RSE