[TowerTalk] Simulation of Mismatched Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Simulation of Mismatched Antennas
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 22:45:35 -0400
Hi Tod,

> Did you prove something was in agreement or did you show that
> something was not in agreement?

Maybe this will help.

Everything is in agreement, now that Steve understands and agrees reflected
power is not absorbed in the tuner or transmitter, and a normal open wire
line or a short good quality coaxial line can provide acceptable
performance even with a high VSWR.

I hoped this thing was over with Steve's post that Maxwell and the people
agreeing with him were correct, but it may have been hard to read all the
back and forth stuff.

Hopefully after all the megabytes of data, we all understand this:

Line loss is a function of matched line loss and the amount of mismatch. If
matched line loss is low, additional loss caused by a load mismatch can be
unnoticable. Percent reflected power, percent transmitted power, match
efficiency and so on are almost useless terms for our applications.

This stuff is explained very well in Walt Maxwells book "Reflections", and
in engineering books if anyone needs more details. Maxwell's work is a
masterpiece of explaining a complex concept many engineers stumble over--
in simple terms we can all understand.

73 Tom