[TowerTalk] Cantankerous Phillystran Big Grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cantankerous Phillystran Big Grips
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 02:59:56 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-05 02:46:58 EDT, pizzabob@TWLakes.Net writes:

> Anyone else besides me had fits trying to install preformed grips on 6700#
> Philly??  I got several on OK but had three that refused to wrap correctly
> despite my best efforts.
>
>  Things would be going fine until all of a sudden, about halfway down, one
> leg or the other would not fit around the Phillystran to save the world.  I
> tried rewrapping starting with the opposite leg, splitting one or both legs,
> rewrapping and changing the spacing, everything (I think).  It was as if the
> Big Grip was mismade for thinner strand.  And, yes, I followed the
directions
> exactly, as well as I could, paying particular attention to the warning not
> to wrap a whole leg before starting on the other.  I ended up with metal on
> top of metal, or an inch or two of the ends not wrapped (#@#!&$!!).

     Well, it IS a handful! I've found that doing 3-4 inches at a time is best
as if you do more, there's too much slop in the Phillystran and you have to
unwind/rewind it anyway.

     The first leg goes on with no problem. The thing that works the best for
me on the second leg besides the above technique, is to push/bend the leg that
you're winding on slightly towards the loop in the grip. That is, pull the two
legs apart as you're winding the second one while you're turning it on and it
should work better.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC