[TowerTalk] Rohn Tower questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower questions
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 11:15:06 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-05 08:06:09 EDT, n4kg@juno.com writes:

> Second, you will need to use a THIMBLE to prevent
>       chafing / cutting on the ridge and to maintain the
>       MINIMUM termination radius recommended for
>       the cable size.  For strength, it is best to use an
>       oversized thimble (2 sizes larger  cable diameter).
>       This will prevent "crushing" of the thimble and is
>       necessary even with a shackle.
>
>       The ONLY benefit of using a shackle is that you
>       can easily disconnect the guy from the bar, but
>       then if you really want to remove the guy, it is
>       easy to disconnect the bar from the guy bracket.
>       Shackles are EXPENSIVE and you will still need
>       a THIMBLE to maintain the proper radius for the
>       termination.   I see no benefit to using shackles
>       on the torque arms.

    Hmm. As long as you can get the proper thimble through the hole in the
torque arm (it's 9/16 inch), then I agree. The recommended thimble for 3/16"
EHS is the 5/16 THH HD version.

     I just checked the fit and clearance of the torque arm hole vis-a-vis a
couple of thimbles. (Sunny Saturday morning and LXC is picking through his
tower parts boneyard in his bathrobe and slippers.) The 1/4TH thimble (which
is not the recommended 3/16 EHS thimble) fits just fine. The recommended 5/16
THH does NOT fit through the hole.

      If your thimble fits through the torque arm hole, it's the WRONG one.

      Like I said before, you use the shackle as the intermediate connector
between the torque arm and the guy wire termination.

      So what if shackles are "EXPENSIVE"? How much do they add to the total
cost of the project? There is no reason to avoid using shackles. That's what
they're for!

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC
Champion Radio Products