[TowerTalk] Kenwood TS-950SDX F.S.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Kenwood TS-950SDX F.S.
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:11:46 -1000
Aloha,  delete immediately if not interested in the purchase of a
super DX/contest rig!

My TS-950SDX is for sale and is now on the way to the
Kenwood Service Center in Calif.  I will have it shipped
directly from there to you!!

It is there for some repairs/ tune-up/realign.  Repairs
to be taken care of include an inoperative subrcvr
LO on the high bands:  24, 28 and 29 MHz.  This will
probably require replacement of the PLL board. Now
that these bands are warming up,  this can become
important for DX split operation!

Also having the antenna tuner unit looked into -- it has
become noisy, bit lossy-- and I will probably just have it
replaced with a new one,  will await the Kenwood tech's
report.

The front panel has some very minor blems,  just from
six years of fingers on it, have asked for cost to replace
it  with a new panel.

Anyway,  having those items dealt with, and anything
else the Kenwood techs come up with before I have
it shipped off to a new owner.

I also am including in the package the great SM-230
Station Monitor/Spectrum Display unit  and connecting
cables to the SDX;  the matching Kenwood external
speaker,  connecting line; an older KAM unit (not Plus
enhanced,  would cost about $120 to upgrade to GTOR,
etc.).  Also included is the IF-232C for connecting the SDX to
your computer for rig control/status readout depending
upon your logging program features;  and the interconnecting
line to your linear to key it on when going to xmit with the
SDX.  Also has the Kenwood hand mike.  The radio has
all optional filters down to 250HZ for CW,  which can
be replaced with an SSB filter which is still in the
factory box and can be used instead of the narrow
CW filter,  this optional filter is included.

Also,  when I bought the SDX new from HRO in July of
1992,  I had the Digital Recording Unit installed and
the RM-1 remote control unit for this function is also
included in this package.  This gadget can record both
stuff to be sent,  and several seconds of stuff just
rcvd.  Neat!

In fact this package includes everything you can buy from
Kenwood for the SDX,  I believe!!  At least I tried to get
everything,  hi.  Of course my principal interest is CW,  so
did not buy the desk mike.

KAM comes with all necessary interconnecting wires/cables,
and three manuals.

Manuals,  etc for the SDX included,  plus the very rare,  and hard
to obtain,  glossy 950SDX Users Manual written in the US in
US English!!  This is almost an essential manual to an SDX
owner,  as it explains much not in the original (which was written
Japan)  factory operator's manual,  at least in my opinion,  hi!

All together,  I paid nearly $5000 for Kenwood items new from HRO,
Anaheim.  Plus I am paying for the repairs/findings of the
Kenwood techs now in process at the Service Center,
where the rig has been twice before;  once for repair of
an unlocked phase loop;  once for repair/replacing of
a small coil which "blew" and took out the two final
power MOSFETS.  Unfortunately,  on that trip,  the
rig was damaged in UPS shipping.  The glass of
the digital display was broken by a poke of something
through the shipping box during transit.  UPS paid
about $800 for those damage induced&needed repairs
in early 1996.

I will have the SDX reconditioned/tuned up,  shipped to you direct from
the Kenwood Calif.  Service Center,  and will ship all the other items
to you,  I pay for Fed Ex Economy air shipment for all items,
and the Kenwood repair costs for the amazing price of
only  $2600.

I have had and enjoyed this radio for six years,  but am now
getting enthused about QSK CW,  and want to move on
to a Ten Tec OmniVI+,  which is argued to be about the
best CW rig going today.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai"