[TowerTalk] Beam Stuck*&%^*#@*

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beam Stuck*&%^*#@*
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 00:12:29 -0400

>You said:
>Any suggestions to free a stuck beam...I have a TH7 on a 55 foot crank >up
that won't turn....Problem is I can't lower the tower with the beam
>pointing the way it is because of neighbors trees.

Stop...don't try to ever climb a crank up.

I have had the same problem with by antennas and rotors on top of a 71'
crank up.  I suggest you throw a light/strong nylon rope over the beam (near
the outer element fir leverage) and while someone is moving the rotor
control back and forth tug (not hard) on the rope.  I have done this three
times (twice with the current T2X).

Once you have it in a position to bring it down do so and take the rotor off
and get it fixed.  In one case the grease turned chalky white (the rotor
guys still scratch their heads over that) in the other the break caught in
that typical T2X manner.  Cleaned it up, new grease and they last 5 to 7
years before you need to clean up again.

If the rope does not work...you need some type of ladder or cherry picker to
assist the effort.  Done that once two after Hurricane Camille...of course
Insurance helped in that one
but one Ham M was destroyed inside ..