[TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:26:36 -0400
At 09:53 AM 9/15/98 +0000, Barry Kutner wrote:
>Though I've never used the pointy top, I'd be wary of using the set
>bolt with a long mast sticking out the top. Don't forget how top heavy
>the mast is. Remove the rotor, and the mast will want to fall
>over. It will be limited by the mast INSIDE the tower banging against
>the tower wall, but perhaps there will be enough force to bend your
>pointy top tube?

Agreed.  If I had a long mast with an antenna hear the top, I would use a
second accessory shelf down inside the top section to help maintain the
liignment - maybe with a plate of some sort mounted on it to maintain
roughly the same clearance as inside the pointy-top itself - about 1/8 inch
in my case.

>Also, won't the friction from rotating the mast eventually rub off the
>galvanizing from both the mast and the inside of the tower tube,
>permitting them to rust?

I'm sure that's a possibility, but no sign so far, and the clearance is
large enough that I doubt the friction is very severe.

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, only middlin' rare WEST Virginia