[TowerTalk] Rope End Sealing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rope End Sealing
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:46:45 -0700

Flame sealing works well.  But if you get any molten plastic on
your skin, you'll regret it.  Also, if your rope must be threaded
through a correctly sized pulley, the blob at the end can be
troublesome.

If you have the luxury of preparing the rope indoors before using
it outdoors, the following may be useful.

1.  Pass the rope through a washer that has the same hole
    diameter as the rope rated O.D.

2.  Use the flame method or a heat gun (like for heatshrink) to
    melt the end of the rope (You are holding the washer in some
    pliers aren't you?).

3.  Before the end cools to solid, pull the washer over the
    melted end.  This will nicely size the end so that it will
    pass anywhere the rope is supposed to go.  And, the excess
    won't end up on your fingers.

I have also used tubing to size these ends.  But it is harder to
decontaminate the inside of the tubing between uses.

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>