[TowerTalk] Wanted: P.E. Stamp

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wanted: P.E. Stamp
From: lburke@wt.net (Larry Burke)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:04:35 -0500

I have an interesting dilemma. After being advised by the City that I did
not need a building permit for a tower and erecting same, the City has
requested that I obtain a Registered P.E.'s statement that the installation
will withstand 100 mph winds. The request was apparently triggered by a
neighbor who currently stands to lose no more than a fence or tree should it
fall. I am studying my options... one I want to look into, for reasons I
won't go into here, is compliance with their request. (I followed the recent
thread about cities requiring permits after installation and do NOT wish to
repeat that discussion!)

I suspect that such analysis is best performed by someone familiar with
towers and not just your typical ME or CE. The ARRL Web Page showing
consulting engineers interested in such matters is out of date. Only one
such engineer was listed for Texas and he requested removal from the list a
long time ago (probably before there was even a World Wide Web the way he
talked!). I suspect the P.E. can be from another state, although I have not
pressed the matter. My questions for the group:

(1) Can anyone out there recommend someone they have used and were satisfied
with? What type of installation did you have analyzed and what was the fee?

(2) Anyone on the list do this for a living and want to take a crack at it? Fee?

Larry WI5A
Friendswood, TX